International Conference ‘Art, Society and Politics in (Post) Socialism’ in Romania
The Conference ‘Art, Society and Politics in (Post) Socialism’ aims at investigating the multiple dimensions of the arts in socialist and post-socialist societies. The Conference will take place on 17-18 November 2014 at the West University of Timisoara in Romania.
Contributors from all fields which are relevant for understanding the relationship between the arts, society and politics, such as history, art history, anthropology, sociology, and political science can participate.
Suggested topics include:
1) Public art in socialist and post-socialist countries;
2) Commissioning public art in socialism;
3) Propaganda and dissent in arts;
4) Politics and the public reception of the work of art;
5) Status of arts and artists in post-socialism;
6) Arts education in (post) socialism;
7) Art and ideology;
8) Public art and collective memory.
The conference language is English. A limited reimbursement (up to 350 Euro) can be offered to participants abroad, for international travel expenses. Accommodation will be provided subject to availability.
All candidates should send a short presentation and an abstract of no more 300 words on the address firstname.lastname@example.org by 15 October 2014.