Job Vacancy: Principal Banker at EBRD (Minsk, Belarus)
The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD) is looking for a Principal Banker in Minsk (Belarus).
The Principal Banker is competent in undertaking all tasks related to, and understands all aspects of, project development and implementation, including project origination, structuring, execution, implementation and monitoring, for all types of investment instruments offered by the Bank.
The Principal Banker will act both as a senior member of a project team or as an operation leader (typically on less complex transactions than an Associate Director, Senior Banker).
The Principal Banker, in his/her role as an operation leader, is expected to take responsibility for effective leadership of his/her project team/s, supervision of junior banking staff, while contributing to their coaching and providing mentoring assistance, as required.
The Principal Banker’s role also includes elements of business/pipeline development, client management and policy dialogue.
The Project life-cycle involves several stages from origination to signing, followed by implementation and monitoring until full completion and repayment or exit. All the stages involve different tasks such as business marketing, project due diligence analysis, structuring and approval, negotiation and signing of project agreements, disbursement and monitoring.
The role of the Principal Banker is to contribute, as a senior project team member, to the structuring, implementation and monitoring of complex transactions, and to lead, as an operation leader, the development of less complex debt and equity transactions, and the effective implementation and monitoring of an assigned number of portfolio projects, in line with the Bank’s operational objectives. The Principal Banker supervises, both as senior team member and as operation leader, more junior colleagues to ensure efficient processing of deal flow and portfolio monitoring.
The Principal Banker is able to build and maintain relationships with internal and external stakeholders in relation to business development, project execution, implementation and monitoring, policy dialogue, co-financing arrangements and donor funding, as applicable.
A substantial degree of independence is given to the Principal Banker, and he/she is expected to ensure effective project team work and progressively take on overall responsibility for increasingly complex transactions.
Accountabilities & Responsibilities
1. Structuring and Execution:
- Work as a senior project team member with more experienced operation leaders on complex transactions, contributing to all aspects of project structuring and execution, including supporting the operation leader with the management of the project team.
As an operation leader:
- Lead structuring, negotiation (including review of legal documentation) and the execution of transactions, working with clients, authorities, consultants and internal units;
- Manage the resources and the work load of the project teams under his/her supervision;
- Oversee the project due diligence process ensuring it meets the Bank’s standards;
- Ensure quality and appropriateness of TC assistance components which support the investments or contribute to policy dialogue initiatives;
- Ensure that all transactions within his/her responsibility are completed within the specified time frames to a high standard (including all internal memoranda and Board reports) and in line with the policies, procedures and objectives of the Bank.
2. Portfolio Monitoring, Value Creation and Reporting
- As a senior project team member perform all such tasks as may be assigned by the operation leader and provide constructive portfolio monitoring advice, guidance and supervision to more junior members of the project team.
As operation leader:
- Take overall responsibility for the effective monitoring of all projects within his/her responsibility, including verifying the quality of regular monitoring reports; taking the lead in maintaining or supervising the management of client relationships; actively managing the resolution of any implementation/monitoring issues in cooperation with relevant Portfolio Managers; managing and supervising more junior bankers who assist in portfolio monitoring;
- Supervise implementation and monitoring of, and reporting on, relevant TC assignments to ensure their compliance with donor reporting requirements, operational objectives and that all reports are of a high quality;
- Take responsibility for ensuring timely notification of any critical portfolio issues to the relevant Portfolio Manager and/or Management, ensuring availability of adequate data and information for the Portfolio Manager and/or Management to be able to take timely decisions.
3. Policy Dialogue
- In cooperation with relevant units within the Bank (e.g., Policy VP, OCE) and Banking country teams (if applicable), contribute to policy dialogue, in a leading role (project level initiatives) or supporting function (national level initiatives);
- Assist in providing necessary support, in the form of relevant information or documentation or meeting participation, towards efforts to procure grants and technical cooperation funds to complement investment projects or required as part of policy dialogue efforts.
4. Business Development
- Assist with marketing and business development efforts in the relevant sector and countries to build reputable market contacts in order to develop a broad deal flow and cross selling of the Bank’s competencies;
- Assist with the critical screening of project proposal flow that is generated through business development efforts, liaising with other colleagues and teams within the Bank to identify sound and executable investments that meet the mandate of the Bank.
- Staff Management:
- Assist in recruiting, training, coaching and mentoring junior bankers, in coordination with the team Director and Associate Directors, Senior Bankers, involving them in all aspects of the project cycle (appraisal, execution, implementation, monitoring and business development), ensuring adequate quality of project work and appropriate work load distribution amongst the project team members; contribute to their professional and competency development;
- Develop productive relationships within the organisation to able to work effectively in a country/sector matrix structure and in a multi-cultural working environment.
The responsibilities of the Principal Banker are designed to allow for the development of transaction expertise and expansion of responsibilities, leading to assuming the role of Senior Banker.
Qualifications and Skills
- Bachelor’s degree. Master’s degree preferred or equivalent experience in the areas of expertise.
- Professional qualification such as ACA, CFA, ACCA, or CIMA desirable.
- Strong quantitative/numerical skills are critical with the ability to interpret financial information and to design and use financial models.
- Credit analysis skills, with the ability to interpret accounts, understanding local and international accounting principles and practice of credit analysis.
- Computer literacy, conversant with Microsoft Office and spread sheet packages including financial analysis and modelling modules.
- Excellent understanding of relevant systems and processes.
- Stakeholder management skills.
- Coaching, mentoring & leadership skills.
- Relationship management and negotiation skills.
- Ability to work to deadlines and under time pressure.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English.
- Good command over the local/country language is an advantage.
Experience & Knowledge
Significant relevant financial industry experience from an investment or commercial bank, private equity firm, asset management firm, or auditing/financial consulting firm operating to international standards.
Practical experience of participating in and leading complex transactions through the full project life cycle.
Relevant industry/country (as applicable) experience might be mandatory, including understanding of country/regional/sector dynamics and trends - depending on the specifics of the position.
Diversity is one of the Bank’s core values which are at the heart of everything it does. A diverse workforce with the right knowledge and skills enables connection with our clients, brings pioneering ideas, energy and innovation. The EBRD staff is characterised by its rich diversity of nationalities, cultures and opinions and we aim to sustain and build on this strength. As such, the EBRD seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities and works in an inclusive environment. The EBRD encourages all qualified candidates who are nationals of the EBRD member countries to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities.
Deadline: 22 March 2016. For more information, please, click here.