UN Office in Belarus seeks UNFPA Project Manager
Under the general guidance of the Assistant Representative the Project Manager will coordinate the work of the project "Support to the implementation of the national programme of demographic security of the Republic of Belarus" ensuring the planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the project activities in accordance with UNFPA/UNICEF rules and procedures as well as donor`s requirements.
He/she will be responsible for achievements of project`s objectives and quality management throughout the project life cycle. Furthermore, the Project Manager will support the CO work in the field of population and development.
The Project Manager maintains collaborative relationships with all programme and project staff at the CO, including the Country Director, the Assistant Representative, Programme Associate, the Communication Officer, and the CO’s administrative management team.
Duties and Responsibilities
- In close co-operation with UNFPA/UNICEF, project partners and donors, coordinates overall project`s implementation ensuring delivery of results in accordance with the Project Documents, Project Logical Framework and Annual Work Plans (preparing and revising AWPs, if required),
- Assumes responsibility for overall projects management: budgeting, planning, implementation, disbursing, controlling and reporting, including necessary progress reports, as required by the relevant UNFPA, donor`s and national legislation procedures,
- Supervises work of project`s national and international experts,
- Supervises and coordinates all events and activities envisaged by the projects,
- Assumes responsibilities for adequate information flow and co-operation with the relevant government agencies, and other national partners, international organizations, donor,
- Monitors risks and evaluates projects impact as per project logical framework,
- Facilitates work of the Project Coordination Committee,
- Participates in the identification and formulation of the country programme and projects by compiling and analyzing information in the subject areas of UNFPA assistance to the Government, drafts project documents and work plans and prepares tables and statistical data,
- Ensures synergies between the project and UNFPA country programme,
- Participates in the preparation of annual reports,
- Contributes to creation and sharing of knowledge by synthesizing and documenting findings and lessons learned, success stories and best practices, strategies and approaches of the CO, and drafting relevant materials for dissemination.
Results-based programme development and management – Contributes to achievement of results through primary research and analysis and effective monitoring of programme/project implementation. Uses analytical skills to identify opportunities for project development and participates in formulation of proposals ensuring substantive rigour in the design and application of proven successful approaches.
Leveraging the resources of partners/Building strategic alliances and partnerships – Establishes, maintains and utilizes a broad network of contacts to keep abreast of developments and to share information. Analyzes selected materials for strengthening strategic alliances with partners and stakeholders.
Resource mobilization – Provides inputs to resource mobilization strategies analyzing and maintaining information and databases on donors and developing database of project profiles for presentation to donors.
Work in team – Accepts team role and actively and constructively contributes to the work of the team. Works collaboratively with team members sharing information openly and displaying cultural awareness and sensitivity. Proactively pursues solutions to team problems and asks for help when needed. Supports the decisions of the team even when it is not his/her preferred solution.
Communicating information/ideas – Delivers oral/written information in a timely, clear, organized and easily understood manner, ensuring written material does not require corrections or editing by others. Frankly expresses own ideas/interests/concerns with the intent to resolve project-related issues; responds appropriately to criticism. Asks questions to understand the perspective of others; takes time to hear and consider what others have to say. Develops a network of contacts inside and outside the organization to gain and share information.
Required Skills and Experience
University degree, preferably in Public Administration, Social Science, International Relations, or other relevant studies for UNFPA`s mandate.
Knowledge and Experience:
At least 5 years of relevant work experience in programme/project management,
Practical experience preferably in the area of demography, populations and development and/or development,
Proven leadership skills,
Good facilitation and coordination skills, demonstrated ability to work in an independent manner,
Strong analytical, facilitation, and problem-solving, to include solid experience in writing functional specifications and strong attention to details,
Working experience in projects funded by international donors is desirable,
Self-starter, with strong sense of ownership, assertive follow-through, and orientation towards results,
Ability to perform well under pressure, adapt to change, and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment,
Clear and careful oral and written communication skills,
Knowledge of UN rules and regulations is an asset,
Computer literacy – Word, Excel, Power Point, etc.
Excellent command of English, Russian and/or Belarusian.
Other Desirable Skills:
Good understanding of the country’s socio-political context. Understanding of the UN system in general, and UNFPA`s mandate is an asset.