Visby Programme Scholarships for PhD studies and postdoctoral research
The Swedish Institute (SI) Baltic Sea Region Cooperation now announces four upcoming scholarship calls for the academic year 2016/2017 within the SI Visby Programme. The aim of the Visby Programme is to build an integrated, knowledge-based and research-intense region, centered on the Baltic Sea while also including EU Eastern Partnership countries and Russia.
New for this year is the opportunity for Swedish-speaking students and teachers to study one or two semesters at a Swedish university, in Swedish language.
The Visby Programme is open to citizens of the following countries: Belarus, Estonia, Georgia, Latvia, Lithuania, Moldova, Poland, Russia and Ukraine. The objective is to strengthen co-operation and network-building between those countries and Sweden in fields such as higher education and research.
The programme provides PhD students and postdoctoral researchers with an opportunity to conduct research at Swedish universities within all fields of study. Candidates belonging to any of the following categories may apply:
- PhD student, applying for a part of his/her ongoing PhD studies to be carried out in Sweden (12 months maximum),
- postdoctoral researcher, with priority given to holders of a PhD degree from 2011 or later (12 months maximum),
- senior scientist - holders of a PhD degree obtained before 2011 (6 months maximum).
A scholarship cannot be granted for an applicant who:
- has already lived in Sweden for two or more years when the scholarship period is due to begi,
- already has a Swedish permanent residence permit,
- has a Swedish work permit and is not an EU citizen,
- is applying for a scholarship at PhD level but is not enrolled in ongoing PhD studies outside of Sweden,
- is applying for a scholarship at postdoctoral level, but does not hold a PhD degree,
- has already been awarded three or more scholarships/grants from SI.
Selection criteria and areas of priority
Applications are evaluated by the Swedish Institute (SI) and an academic board. The primary evaluation of the application takes into account the applicant’s academic background, personal motivation and expertise in the project field of the host department. Also evaluated is the strength of the research proposal with regards to its scientific quality, originality, methodological approach, and relevance. In the final selection of candidates SI will consider the distribution of scholarships with regards to academic fields, universities, purpose of study, nationality and gender.
Research fields within all academic disciplines are eligible.
The scholarship is free of tax and amounts to SEK 15 000 per month for PhD students and SEK 18 000 per month for postdoctoral researchers and senior scientists. The scholarship cannot be prolonged or extended.
Scholarship holders are insured by the Swedish State Group Insurance against illness and accident during the scholarship period.
All Swedish Institute scholarship holders are invited to become members of the SI Network for Future Global Leaders (NFGL), a network that offers unique opportunities during and after the stay in Sweden. Together with other talented people from all around the world, the scholarship holder is able to take part in a variety of events, exchange ideas and create networks that benefit both to career and personal development.
- the scholarship is designed to cover living costs for the scholarship holder, there are no grants for family members, no funding for bench fees is provided,
- the granted scholarship period cannot be altered or extended; however, it is possible to apply for subsequent funding through a new call for applications,
- PhD students on a sandwich setup are allowed up to two visits per scholarship year,
- in case of a postponed arrival date, the scholarship period can be decreased accordingly,
- there is no travel grant included in the scholarship offer.
Please read the instructions and complete the application enclosures, before entering the online application form. The application deadline is 16 January 2016.
Scholarship offers will be sent to successful candidates by the end of May 2016 at the latest, and candidates are required to respond to the offer within 14 days. Note that all decisions are sent by email only. Please, contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.